I was a little upset because I thought I ‘thought up and created’ an awesome new dump cake recipe. As usual, I was wrong but will share it anyways. Mine is a way easier version. It was so fluffy and moist that my kids and even my husband asked me to make it again (my husband doesn’t like anything with fruit cooked into it, so this was a HUGE win!) I have come to appreciate the minimal ingredient requirements for a dessert that can be thrown together and cook in the oven while everyone eats. My son and husband have come to enjoy the idea of desserts so I wanted something really different. Something that would taste like memories of growing up to the scent of my grandmother’s cooking.
While shopping at the store I had gone down the baking aisle and found Caramel Apple Pie filling. With that in hand, I wandered through the cake and cookie mixes and picked up a box of Spiced Cake mix. I decided that I wasn’t going to wash a possible fail and grabbed a disposable pan.
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 Can of Caramel Apple pie filling
1 Box of Spice Cake mix
3-4 Tablespoons (or more because I really just eyeballed it) butter
8″ x 8″ pan
Non-Stick Cooking spray (I wasn’t taking any chances)
Eyeballing was most of my method in this so good luck!
- Spray pan (I used disposable but spraying kind of defeated the purpose and you’ll see why) with cooking spray.
- In the pan, mix 3/4 of the cake mix and the entire can of pie filling until smooth (this is when I later realized that I couldn’t respray the pan but it didn’t stick so I was good with it).
- Sprinkle the rest of the cake mix on top of mixture.
- Top with pats of butter (or chunks-whatever just need butter on top to mimic a crumble topping.)
- Bake at 400° for about 40 minutes or until the top looks done. I did insert a toothpick and it came out clean as well.
If you try this please let me know if you liked it or did anything different.